Hollis has an established background creating and facilitating experiences with art and design designed to cultivate habits of mind that support expert clinical care.
Through workshops and courses that engage directly with museum objects and cultural materials, clinicians develop skills such as metacognitive and reflective abilities, rich observation skills, communication of complex ideas, and comfort with ambiguity.
Hollis is available to your clinical or arts/humanities organization or institution for consultation. She excels in creating sustainable partnerships, and creating workshops and curriculum tailored to specific aims and desired outcomes.
She has 6 years of experience developing and facilitating a variety of personal and professional development offerings at the RISD Museum and elsewhere for practicing and aspiring physicians and clinicians. She helped to initiate and develop a collaboration with Alpert Medical School of Brown University at the RISD Museum. Read about this partnership.
CLINICAL ARTS TEACHING
art-based sessions that develop creative thinking skills and reflexive practice for current and future physician
- Creative Dimensions of Clinical Decision Making, Brown University seminar course for premedical undergraduates, co-taught with Jay Baruch, MD
- Artful Medicine, accredited Continuing Medical Education workshops for practicing physicians, co-facilitated with Jane Hesser, LCSW
-Clinical Arts Series, a RISD Museum workshop series integrated into the curriculum of the Alpert Medical School Dermatology residency program
- The Weight of Pain, a RISD Museum workshops series for Emergency Medicine physicians and residents, co-facilitated with Bonnie Marr, MD
- Artful Thinking, workshop for pre-medical students at the Davis Museum of Wellesley College
- From Galleries to Wards, elective workshop series for Brown University pre-medical students co-facilitated with Kevin Liou, MD and Jay Baruch, MD
- Cops and Docs, evening workshops for detectives and practicing physicians at the RISD Museum
- Humanities Workshops, sessions for first and second year Alpert Medical School students at the RISD Museum
PRESENTATIONS AND LECTURES
"In the abstract: How thinking like an artist supports medical education" Young innovator presentation, Arts and the Health Humanities Conference, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH
Panelist, "On Integrating Museum and Medical Education: A Multidisciplinary Panel, Arts and the Health Humanities Conference," Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH
Panelist, Art and Medicine: Better Health Care through Museum Partnerships, National Art Education Association annual conference, Chicago, IL
Panelist, "Mindful Observation: Art museums in the education of healthcare professionals." New England Museum Association Annual Conference, Cambridge, MA
Panelist, Arts in Healthcare symposium, Rhode Island Teaching Artist Center
Guest presenter, Emergency Medicine Grand Rounds, Alpert Medical School
"Thinking about Thinking: Art Museum Experiences in Medical Education." Creative Medicine Lecture through the Cogut Center for the Humanities
Playing in the “Gutter”: Cultivating Creativity in Medical Education and Practice. Liou, Kevin T. MD; Jamorabo, Daniel S. MD; Dollase, Richard H. EdD; Dumenco, Luba MD; Schiffman, Fred J. MD; Baruch, Jay M. MD. Academic Medicine: March 2016 - Volume 91 - Issue 3 - p 322–327.